Course Catalog – Middle Division
Notre Dame Marist Academy is an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) World School, proudly offering a challenging curriculum to students in grades 6-8.
The Middle Years Programme provides a curriculum framework that allows students to develop knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes they need to be effective in a world of increasing globalism. The fundamental concepts that organize and shape the MYP are:
- holistic learning that connects subject knowledge and grade levels
- effective communication skills, including second language acquisition
- intercultural and global awareness
The MYP curriculum, designed and implemented through the collaborative work of Notre Dame Marist Academy teachers, focuses on active learning, interdisciplinary connections and community service. With the MYP we continue to maintain the high academic standards for which we are recognized.
The MYP curriculum includes:
- Eight content areas: Language Arts, Mathematics, Humanities (including Religion), Science, Technology, Fine Arts, Language B (Spanish or Mandarin Chinese), and Physical Education.
- MYP methods and strategies of learning
- Cross disciplinary themes
- A program of internal and external review and reflection which allows the curriculum to evolve
In the MYP, teachers organize the curriculum through five Areas of Interaction: Health & Social Education, Community & Service, Ingenuity, Approaches to Learning, and Environments. These five areas actively engage students and serve as "lenses" through which students explore ideas, investigate, make connections across and between subject areas, and apply their knowledge to real world issues, problems and concerns.
To view the NDMA curriculum by subject, please click the curriculum links to the right. (coming soon)