Course Catalog – Middle Division
Notre Dame Marist Academy is an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) World School, proudly offering a challenging curriculum to students in grades 6-8.
The Middle Years Programme provides a curriculum framework that allows students to develop knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes they need to be effective in a world of increasing globalism. The fundamental concepts that organize and shape the MYP are:
- holistic learning that connects subject knowledge and grade levels
- effective communication skills, including second language acquisition
- intercultural awareness
The MYP is a concept-driven curriculum, designed and implemented collaboratively by Notre Dame Marist Academy teachers. With the MYP we continue to maintain the high academic standards for which we are recognized.
The MYP curriculum includes:
- Eight content areas: Language and Literature, Mathematics, Individuals and Societies (including Religion), Science, Performing and Visual Arts, Language Acquisition (Spanish or Mandarin Chinese), Physical Education and Health, and Design.
- Inquiry-based learning
- Interdisciplinary connections
- Service and action within the community
- A program of internal and external review and reflection which allows the curriculum to evolve. In the MYP, teachers organize the curriculum through key and related concepts and a prescribed set of global contexts. Students explore ideas, ask questions, investigate, make connections across and between subject areas, and apply their knowledge and skills to real world issues, problems and concerns.
To view the NDMA curriculum by subject, please click the curriculum links to the right. (coming soon)