The diploma candidate must also take a unique course known as Theory of Knowledge. In this course, students explore the connections and similarities between the various subjects, learn to think, and apply interrelated concepts. Although NDP students enter the Diploma Program in their junior year, the selection process begins in the sophomore year. IB students may also participate in the Advanced Placement (AP) Program in grades 11 and 12.
Diploma Programme Features
- Six subject areas: English, Second Language, Social Studies, Experimental Sciences, Mathematics, The Arts
- Two year courses of study that allow a broader, deeper understanding of high level material
- Internal Assessments such as oral readings, presentations, projects and portfolios take place in each class.
- External Assessments (exams) take place at the end of the Diploma Program (May of the student's Senior year). Exams are graded externally by IBO
- Students network with other DP students through the CAS program. Students design and implement activities and projects for the program ideally working together as a DP community.
- Students earn credit for participating in Sports and Music programs. IBO recognizes the participation of talented students in extra-curricular activities and awards CAS credit for taking part in these activities as well as other commitments students participate in outside of the school community.
- The extended essay requirement allows students to self-select a topic of interest for extensive study and research. The student is assigned a mentor for the year long process.
- The roster of IB courses at NDP allows a rich selection of academic choices. Spanish and Mandarin, History, Psychology and Economics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, Visual Arts and beginning in 2011 Music Theory.
Diploma Programme Benefits
Diploma Program students are recognized world-wide as well-rounded college ready students. Therefore, highly selective universities desire these applicants. College admissions representatives look forward to applications from NDP Diploma Programme students knowing that they completed the most rigorous course of study at a well-recognized academic institution. Because the IBO fosters internationally minded students, DP candidates are mature-minded and articulate. They are without a doubt the most attractive college applicants today.
For more information: http://www.ibo.org/diploma/
In this video, added Nov. 2012, see how other students in the United States assess their experience with the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.