The IB Middle Years Programme (MYP), for students in grades 6-10, provides a curriculum framework that allows participants to develop the knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes they need to be effective in a world of increasing globalism. The fundamental concepts that organize and shape the MYP are: holistic learning, which connects subject knowledge and grade levels; effective communication, including
language acquisition; and intercultural and global awareness. In the MYP, teachers organize the curriculum through five Areas of Interaction serving as “lenses” through which students explore ideas, investigate, inquire and apply their knowledge to real world issues, problems, and concerns.
MYP Programme Features
- Eight content areas: Language Arts, Mathematics, Humanities (including Religion), Science, Language B (Spanish or Mandarin), Technology, Fine Arts (performing and visual), Physical Education
- Content organized through five Areas of Interaction: Human Ingenuity, Health and Social Education, Community and Service, Environments, and Approaches to Learning
- Guiding, unit questions provide a larger purpose for learning targeted content and make students aware of the specific skills they will learn
- Interdisciplinary learning breaks down artificial barriers enabling students to discover relationships between knowledge areas and the real world
- Student-centered, interactive learning replaces lectures with independent and collaborative learning, problem-solving activities, hands-on experimentation, organized debates, analysis, investigation, and reflection
- Learner Profile attributes infuse the curriculum and enhance development of an internationally-minded critical and creative thinker and lifelong learner
- Intercultural and international curriculum framework enhances global awareness and understanding
- Focused and frequent criterion referenced assessments of student skills and knowledge with formative assessments occurring throughout instruction and summative assessments done after instruction
The MYP curriculum, designed and implemented through the collaborative effort of Notre Dame Preparatory and Marist Academy teachers, focuses on active student learning, interdisciplinary connections and community service. The MYP, like the PYP and DP Programmes, aims to “develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.” The MYP teaches students how to evaluate information critically while promoting active participation and responsible citizenship in an ever changing world. And with the Middle Years Programme, we continue to maintain the high academic standards for which we are recognized.
For more information: http://www.ibo.org/myp/